Thursday, May 29, 2008

Alan comes out

The women's mini-marathon - well it's a 10k walk or run - whichever you want - is held in Dublin every year and attracts about 40,000 women. Cath and Gabrielle had agreed to do it together but Gabs had to pull out so Cath asked Nur to do it with her.

Her joke of 'I'll do it, but only if Alan does it in a miniskirt' finally gave me the chance to achieve my long-time wish of appearing in Catherine attire in public. However, must to Cath and my disappointment, the mini-skirt was too (how shall we put this subtly)... in your face.

So after trying on a variety of outfits, we settled on Cath's christmas dress from a few years ago. Damn I was stunning - even if I do say so myself.

Cath added make-up to complete the outfit - I think she was actually quite proud of how well it was applied.



We left the house and walked 20 minutes to the start of the race... I got a few looks and comments in the city centre - some 12-year-old boys asked me why I was dressed like that and I just replied that it was extremely liberating!



Then we caught up with Nur at the Luas (tram) station, posed for a few photies and made our way to the start. There were a lot of old ladies chuckling away at me but I was pleased to see a few other blokes dressed up. Many had wigs. Damn - why didn't I think of that!

There were also quite a few women who squeezed my boobs (a sock in each cup) and a few who lifted my dress up from behind. Is this how ladies act to each-other? I was, quite-frankly, shocked. I always wondered why women go to the bathrooms together - do they secretly sqeeze each-other's boobs?




My make-up.


And so the walk began.




As I said, there were about 40,000 of us. Was a bit crazy at times.


But it all happened quite fast and suddenly we were at 8ks. Woohoo - go us.



Everyone does these things here for charities. They get sponsored and stuff and raise cash for their various special cause. I saw this woman walking for 'Get up for Alan' - I didn't ask why she was walking for me - for some reason I was feeling a bit shy - but I was flattered. I didn't see any of the money she raised for me though!



There was also a leprechaun along the way. Fancy that! I think he was offering people lifts for a price - but Nur and I were way too fit to need a lift.



... although Cath could maybe have done with one.




But soon we were at the finish and celebrating our Herculaen effort!


The girls showing off their medals.



And then we walked home to change and head back to Cork on the last bus. But time for one more quick photo at Gabs and Stew's place. Grr.

No comments:

The World according to Valkenburg

As if Facebook, gmail and hotseminakedswedishblondes.com weren't taking up enough of my time, now I'm writing a blog!

Oh well - it just goes to show - any idiot can write a blog.